Friday, February 2, 2007

Chevalier-Montrachet Notes

When I wanted to enjoy a nice chardonnay tonight, only one choice came to my mind. My father brought me this bottle from his cellar during his last visit. This 2004 Chevalier-Montrachet (burgundy, 14%) form Philippe Colin is quite exceptional. While it could have aged few more years, it is already showing the star that he is.

The wine is of light gold color. The complexity of the bouquet gives you a glimpse at the personality of the wine. Vanilla, cocoa, and honey suckle were the most dominant aromas.

This is a wine that is too young to let it warm up. This won't be a problem one day, but right now I would advise keeping this one in the ice bucket. At warmer then advised temperature, the oak would take over, and overpower some very subtle and wonderful fragrances, I don’t want you to miss out.

This fruity, elegant, and seductive Chevalier-Montrachet is a success for this cold evening. The wine’s achievement was to deliver a powerful and infinite finish with a distinctive green pear taste.

I am currently not going to give this wine a rating, and I will tell you why later, but I might change that sometime in the future.

No comments: