Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Chablis Grand Cru Chistophe CAMU "Les Clos" 2004

I had the pleasure to spend last weekend in Naples where the good life is lived, and lived well. During my short vacation I was lucky enough to taste my favorite Chablis of all, Francois Raveneau. Tonight, I am just a little less lucky to have found this bottle at our dear Central Market.

I can tell, when I drink this bottle, that Christophe Camu transferred his genius to his wine. This is the first time I am impressed by a Chablis that does not carry the name Raveneau.

I have to admit the hesitation was great when I was standing in the Burgundy isle and I was staring at the $70 price tag. I'm, usually, and luckily, not the one opening bottles carrying this type of price tags. So when I uncorked the bottle and gave it my first tasting step: the cork smell, I was very anxious. I could distinctively smell the fruit pass the cork, which made me very optimistic about the rest of the exercise.

The nose was a total let down: Weak, smelled like a mix of iron and honey. But the honey gave me hope and I carried on to the tasting.

This is something I would never be afraid to serve. I would be proud to have on my hypothetical wine list and I would recommend it to any make believe customer who wanted a great chardonnay without having to feel like you are locked in a new oak barrel.

It's a perfect balance between fruit and minerals, earth and air. The savors dance on your tongue, and fill you nose with sweet sent.

If I were to compare it with Raveneau, I would say: It lacks Raveneau's magic touch, and only him can produce that, it's also half the price.

No comments: