Friday, January 26, 2007

Rhone, Rhone, and more Rhone

I want to take time, on this beautiful Friday, to talk about my favorite wine in my favorite region. Three summers ago I found myself in this beautiful region again, this time under circumstances that went beyond my power, with two of my cousins who are wine enthusiasts themselves. We were driving up to my Aunt and Uncle’s farm in the region of Macon. By chance my older cousin whose car we were in, wanted to bring back some good wines from the Rhone valley, and I happened to know a few of them. One of the stops we made, one of the many stops, was in Vacqueyras at the Sang des Cailloux vineyard.

This wine is my favorite because it is the one that I can understand the best. I can actually feel the emotions of the winemaker while he made the wine. Most people will just think I’m lying, they have never felt emotions from a wine. And yet, wines that are influenced by the wine maker’s personality are the best wine in the world. This only happens with small productions vineyard that are trying to recreate a local authentic taste. They will give their wine character, and that character will enhance you tasting experience. This is an earthy wine, with red fruits, impeccable balance, a pleasant finish, complex and robust, full of pain and happiness, just like life.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You make this wine sound so yummy! I'm not sure if I have ever had the pleasure of tasting this wine...have I?